only non-Plug and Play devices, drivers, and printers when you click Show hidden devices on the View menu. Devices that you install that are not connected to the computer (such as a Universal Serial Bus [USB] device or “ghosted” devices) are not displayed in Device Manager,
To work around this behavior and display devices when you click Show hidden devices:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
- At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
- Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
- Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.
NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
- When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
- Type exit at the command prompt.
- Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.